Friday, July 29, 2011

"What? Candles? Really?"

Tomorrow (or I guess in Canada... tomorrow's tomorrow) is Scott's birthday! If you didn't already know, Scott is not a huge birthday person... but he will not refuse a piece of cake. He could really do without the candles though... but a birthday just wouldn't be the same without them.

Since we are going to be away in our campervan on his actual birthday, I decided I'd make him a cake and we'd celebrate it early. I found this really good cake blog called Sweetapolia which has given me some great cake recipes to try out. If you remember my birthday cake this year, it is from the same blog. This time I tried out the Hawiian Carrot Cake.


Our kitchen here is not equipped at all for baking. The only thing for mixing was a potato masher and a flimsy plastic bowl. So... after a trip to the dollar store, and only a couple dollars later, I had myself a wooden spoon. Even still, it has been a long time since I had to bake anything with just a wooden spoon.

I must say that after this baking experience, I am very thankful for my cuisinart mixer that I have at home.

It was all worth it because the end result was a delicious birthday cake for Scott! And yes... there were candles involved. No singing though... I don't think the guys were into that so I let it slide this time. Well... really, I just didn't want to do a solo.


It's a good thing there are 4 other guys living here, cuz I don't think we could have taken down that whole cake by ourselves. 

For Scott's real birthday tomorrow, we are going to go skiing! He is definitely more excited about that than the candles.

Happy Birthday Scott! I love you!

2 comments:

  1. To Uncle Scott,
    Happy birthday. Hi Aunty Nikki. I'm going to have a baby brother. Miss you. Nothing else.
    Love Kassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Scott! Have fun skiing! (jealous!)

    ReplyDelete